Wednesday, April 14, 2010

looking ahead

it feels like spring has barely started, and already i need to start thinking about the summer.

tomorrow is the deadline to submit my summer plans for my year of service. i sent it to my site supervisor this morning, and pending her approval, it will be sent on to my DPI supervisors. no far-fetched, elaborate plans involved. the main points of my summer plans involve working with growing power through their community garden at maple tree, writing a grant to get a bookshelf for the school as a parent resource center, and working on my sustainability binder.

the main question is where will i be working?

maple tree is open for summer school, but it is a half-day program. it's my understanding that most of the action team will not be around for the summer, as well. given this information, i think it makes sense for me to operate out of the parents plus office. this doesn't mean i wont make regular appearances at the school...i just think i can get more work done at parents plus. furthermore, it's a much easier commute for me and i won't have to deal with mps internet blocking certain websites.

of course, i have other plans for the summer beyond work. i still have 9 sick days and will have 4 vacation days left as of May 17th, and i plan on using them all before my year of service ends. if i go to grad school in the fall, i may need a few of those days towards the end of the summer to return to new jersey to gather up some things to bring back to milwaukee with me (that is, if I end up at UWM. if I end up at Montclair State, I'll need a few days to pack up everything to move out). I'm also planning on finally going to chicago, so i'd like to make a trip out of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment