Tuesday, September 22, 2009

the start of something new

today was the CNCS conference in milwaukee. the point of the conference was for volunteers and supervisors involved in various americorps programs, faith-based organizations, volunteer programs, and government officials to come together to help draft wisconsin's state plan for national service. once the plan is finalized, it will be sent out to the corporation for national and community service. volunteers came from milwaukee, racine, kenosha, waukesha, and sheboygan to assist in this process.

the conference mainly consisted of several open-ended questions that we addressed in small groups of seven, leaving time to come together as a large group to share what we said. though it was a good learning experience and a great chance to network with other volunteers, i could not help but feel like it was hard for me to voice my opinions. three women at my table were very outspoken, to the point where they would talk for several minutes, turn to the rest of us and ask what our opinions were, then continue to talk before any of us could open our mouths. i found myself interrupting the women several times because i knew that there was no other way i could voice my feelings. i was also criticized for moving from the east coast to take a position in milwaukee, because others felt that it would take someone in my position a long time to become accustomed to the location, which would have a negative effect on their work. i pointed out that i moved here about a month before my contract started so i could get a chance to learn the city beforehand, but they stood by their opinion that it is best to take on local volunteers than to relocate someone.

after the conference, i drove as fast as i could in downpour to the school, just so i could distribute flyers for students to take home about forming an Action Team. I can only cross my fingers that parents will send back the form saying that they want to be active.

I met with growing power yesterday and took a tour of their facility. I'm hoping to get them involved in the action team, as well, and they seemed pretty optomistic about it. I was very happy when they asked me if i'm a VISTA when i mentioned that i'm only with the school until next august. i also wish i had a green thumb, because their program is incredible. here is their website:
http://growingpower.org/

today i received a housewarming present from my aunt: a framed photograph of yellow flowers that i picked out for the place. minor redecoration may be in order, because i am unsure of where to put it. i am debating between hanging it in the kitchen area or above my futon. if i hang it above my futon, though, it means moving my peace flag so it will hang over my tv/computer area, which means moving my peace sign photograph to the kitchen area...looks like i've got plans for saturday!

1 comment:

  1. sarah- what a great idea! to chronicle your life as a VISTA this year :). i hope it serves as reflection for you during your service. by the way, please ignore whoever criticized you for relocating to serve! we are thrilled to have VISTAs move to new communities and bring new and fresh perspectives. we need to all work together to address the challenges in our communities, and yes, milwaukee is now YOUR community! :)

    ReplyDelete