Thursday, March 18, 2010

for the first time, things are still the same

(except I wish this wasn't true)

I've only had a handful of interactions between myself and the HIP coordinator since my last post. I've tried to be nice to her, but my actions have not been reciprocated on her end. I say good morning to her while passing her in the hallway, and she responds by shrugging her shoulders and sighing. no longer does she stop by my office to check in with me when she arrives at maple tree in the morning. the more I think about her actions, the harder it is for me not to feel like I'm back in high school.

yesterday was saint patrick's day. I opted not to wear green for two reasons: a) i thought it would be too cliche, and b) i don't own a lot of green clothes (not a good color for me). after a two hour staff meeting at maple tree, i went home and had two hours to get my eyebrows done, get dressed, and eat dinner before heading over to paddy's to celebrate with some friends. naturally, there was a 45 minute wait at supercuts to get my eyebrows done, which meant rushing through everything else. Got to paddy's 10 minutes late, but it wasn't the end of the world. that is, until lizzy arrived and was told that she wasn't allowed upstairs where the rest of the group was because they were at capacity. this was such b.s. regardless, i said goodbye to the group and went to a different bar with lizzy to hang out with steve, nicole, and some of their friends. we drank some beer and discussed our halloween costume plans (it's gonna be AWESOME) and our super-cool kickball team. went to bed a little on the late side, and was woken up at 12:30 in the morning by syd calling to tell me about the failure that is blue fish fencing. i'm amazed i'm awake right now.

today has been productive so far. I've written up some reminders for the parent who is volunteering for snack sales, which i'm going to stick in the cash box. I've also been fielding phone calls and emails for an event i'm going to tomorrow and trying to schedule a meeting with growing power about their community garden at our school. This has become a huge priority for me, because i just found out that the reason why growing power hasn't been in contact with me is because the representative i was working with no longer works there. this means i need to seriously make up for lost time with them.

This weekend is the camping trip planned by the HIP coordinator. I was planning on going to help supervise, but I'm no longer going. There's a summit for the Milwaukee Graduation Project tomorrow that VISTAs are required to attend. I've agreed to help out as a facilitator for a group discussion -I'm hoping it works out. I signed up a while ago to do a canvassing project on saturday, but I'm thinking I might bail out if the weather is anything like they've been predicting...

No comments:

Post a Comment