Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Growing Power

Yesterday afternoon I had a meeting at Growing Power. Maple Tree is home to one of their community gardens, so a meeting between stakeholders of the community around the school and employees of growing power was held at their farm yesterday afternoon. I meant to take pictures, but decided against it since we didn't have time to take the tour they had told us about in the email.

The best part of this meeting was, without a doubt, the part where I got to meet Will Allen. Will is the founder of Growing Power and has been featured on Oprah's talk show, as well as a guest of honor by Michelle Obama as part of her Let's Move campaign. One can only imagine the look on my face when I was sitting at a table in a greenhouse rocking my mom jeans talking to a pastor, a president of a neighborhood association, and a growing power employee and Will Allen just strides in and starts shaking hands with everyone. It was pretty surreal. I wanted to be a nerd and ask to have my picture taken with him, but decided against it for two reasons: 1) I looked like crap (I learned during my first visit to growing power that wearing nice clothes there is a bad idea, since you will leave smelling like fertilizer), and 2) my hair had become a giant poofball, compliments of the greenhouse we were meeting in.

I mentioned to the employee holding the meeting the theme of Americorps week for this year and asked if Will or somebody could do a guest speaking event at Maple Tree and she totally went for it! I asked how likely it is that Will could do it and it sounded like if there's no scheduling conflict that he's in. I'm SO excited about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment